Cloud Foundry by MindSphere¶
MindSphere offers a managed open source Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) powered by Cloud Foundry for developing cross-platform applications and lowering development efforts. The following features and Buildpacks are currently supported. This is subject to change and might be enriched over the time.
|Runtime||Cloud Foundry Runtime||MindSphere uses 2.9.x runtime with hardened stemcells|
|Buildpacks||The following Buildpacks are supported by MindSphere||
|Backing Services||Backing Services can be data stores or other services that are provided by MindSphere. Every Backing Service is available as a single instance (for development) and as a clustered high-available version for productive usage.||
|User Provided Services||This Cloud Foundry feature allows to integrate services from outside CF e.g. Kinesis.||
|Docker-Support||Using docker containers for deploying applications.||
|Stack||Cloud Foundry supports multiple prebuilt root file systems||default:
|SSH||SSH enables connections to containers running your application and connecting database management tools||
|SSO||Single-Sign-On - use your MindSphere user account to access Cloud Foundry||
Access MindSphere Cloud Foundry¶
Use the official Cloud Foundry CLI for accessing your development environment. The API-endpoint is:
Initially only the original administrator of the MindAccess Developer or Operator Plan has administrator (called
OrgManager) permissions for Cloud Foundry. If you want to give other users Cloud Foundry access permissions, you must use the Cloud Foundry command-line tool. Note that the MindSphere Settings cannot be used to grant or remove these permissions.
MindSphere comes with an Single-Sign-On mechanism which allows users logging in to Cloud Foundry an in to the tenant with the same credentials. Read the Getting Started or Cloud Foundry documentation on how to log in to Cloud Foundry. There are no separate credentials required as it was the case in MindSphere 2.
Cloud Foundry Updates¶
In this section we describe the process of an Cloud Foundry update. Cloud Foundry implements a rolling update concept to avoid downtimes. During the update each component will be updated sequentially and restarted afterwards. Therefore, each Cloud Foundry component uses multiple instances (horizontal scaling) to ensure availability. Yet, this has implications of the duration of updates as those depend on the number of services and virtual machines to update.
The same principles as for the Cloud Foundry components also apply to applications running on top of Cloud Foundry. Therefore you must run at least two of an application to ensure high availability and reduce downtimes during update phases. During the Cloud Foundry update the virtual machine on which the application container is executed will be shutdown, updated and restarted. There will be a short downtime if you have only one instance running. Cloud Foundry will notice a problem with the application and will start another instance.
Benefits of Cloud Foundry¶
Why should I use Cloud Foundry? The following subsections and bullet points give a brief overview about the advantages of Cloud Foundry.
- Incorporates best practices for developing cloud software
- Proven to work in a practical way
- Reducing complexity due to standard procedures (e.g. service binding)
- Predefined procedures for deployment and app management that reduce operational effort
Easy and fast app development with focus on the business logic¶
- No need to care about underlying infrastructure, OS and runtime
- Out-of-the-box scaling, load-balancing, health management and configuration management
- Apps run in isolated containerized environments
Security by MindSphere¶
- Industrially hardened Stemcells
- Managed Buildpacks with a high level of security standard (e.g. CVE scanning)
- Managed Backing Services with automated backup capabilities (plan medium or higher)
- Separation of Concerns - clear separation of development and production environments)
- Positive Security Concept for Applications and APIs
Operations efforts reduced¶
- Out of the box security, patch, backup, release management for the underlying layers
- Ensuring app compatibility during updates of OS and buildpacks
- Managed Cloud Foundry platform with zero downtime on a stable IaaS layer
Any questions left?
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under the MindSphere Development License Agreement.