The goal of digitalization is the rapid exchange of information efficiently. Lots of valuable information/data are generated using MindSphere like analytics, events, etc. These need to be transported quickly to your customers so that they could act quickly based on the information type.
The notification service provides various interfaces (channels) to communicate and share information among the users of MindSphere via
- Push notification
- The Notification Service API is only available in developer or operator tenants.
- Third Party Applications can implement Notification Services via a Technical User only. Notification Service specific roles/groups will not be explicitly available in Developer Cockpit Application for Third Party App implementation.
- Kindly contact the support team in order to generate a new Technical User.
The notification service uses a different controller for the communication and information transmission. Each controller offers various tasks for message processing. The following list describes the content of each individual controller:
- Communication Channel
This resource gives information about available communication channels. It gets a list of all active communication types with the channel ID and the channel name such as e-mail and push notifications.
- Address Type
This resource lists all the address types supported by recipient service such as personal mail, office mail or push notification.
With this API controller, you can create a new recipient using the e-mail and phone details and manage the accounts by using an API call. You can execute a search by recipient name and get a recipient based on the recipient ID.
- Certificate Store
The Certificate Store controller manages the recipient's certification system. You can update, check, retrieve and delete a recipient's certificate.
- Template Param
This resource gives information about template parameters. You can use this API to get available template parameters for a requested template set.
- Template Manager
The Template Manager allows you to use templates for sending messages such as e-mail and push notification. You can also merge template parameters in an existing template. Via the API you can get a list of available templates and view the template details and the contents. Each template has an ID.
- Communication Category
The Communication Category controller manages the communication categories. Every category has its ID. You can create and delete the categories. The communication category controller allows you to manage your recipients into different categories. You can also unsubscribe the recipients from a category. For example, a technical support can create a category using reciepients and template to define one communication category.
- Encryption Service
The encryption service controller encrypts the CcMail, e-mail and plain text. If any one of the recipient for a triggered message, does not have certificate available, then the e-mail notification is sent as unencrypted to all the recipients, irrespective of the availability of their certificates.
- Message Publisher
The Message Publisher controller is the basic component of the notification service. It publishes the messages to the queue for further processing and routing to the appropriate channel.
- Communication Service Audit
The Communication Service Audit controller saves the message in a database and logs the message information in an audit file. You can use the API to search for the stored audits in the database. The messages are stored with an audit log which would be available upto three months.
- E-mail and Push notifications shall not be used for time sensitive applications as MindSphere does not own the total chain of communication.
- PGP encryption works only for plain text e-mails. E-mails using a pre-defined HTML template would not work correctly as it will display HTML tags after the decryption rather than rendering the HTML tags.
- Customers/developers are responsible for the management of their public certificates like expiration of the certificates, replacement of the expired certificates etc. Notification Service will send encrypted e-mails with the expired certificate. However, the actual recipients will not be able to decrypt the e-mail using the expired certificate.
- A bounced e-mail will be blacklisted immediately after the first bounce. The tenant cannot send further e-mails using the blacklisted e-mails. If the violation continues then the tenant capability to send e-mails will be disabled until tenant admin addresses the issue with the help of support. Please be informed that the bounced e-mails will be counted as sent e-mail.
The Notification Service exposes its API for realizing the following tasks:
- Digital Certificate Management: Upload/update/delete public certificates for the e-mail encryption.
- HTML template management: Use pre-defined HTML templates for the e-mail notifications. Upload different HTML templates and reuse them for the different notification channels.
- Configuration: Configure HTML template and recipient or recipient group. Use an unique configuration name for the target audience and reuse the configuration..
- Security: Use different e-mail encryption mechanisms, e.g. PGP or S/MIME. Encrypt the messages using different public certificate type of the indended recipients.
- Audit logs: Trace the history of the sent notifications via audit log.
The manager of a wind farm wants to get a push notification every time the wind speed exceeds a certain level. He manages to control the API and connects the notification service with the aspects data of the wind turbine.
At a wind speed of 8 km/h, the administrator of the wind turbine recieves a notification. At a wind speed of 9 km/h, an additional notification is sent to a pre-defined service user list for further action.
- The wind turbine is connected as an asset to the MindSphere.
- The speed of the wind turbine has been created as an aspect.
- Tenant admin is defined as an administrator.
- Tenant admin creates service user list with the maintenance personnel.
Any questions left?
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under the MindSphere Development License Agreement.