Asset Management Service¶
An asset can be a digital representation of a machine or an automation system with one or multiple automation units (e.g. PLC) connected to MindSphere. Aspects are a data modeling mechanisms for assets. Aspects group the data points based on logical sense.
The Asset Management Service is used to create an asset. Within the Asset Management API you can read the asset data and manage your assets. You can retrieve all aspects and variables of an asset, change the location, assign files. The service is also used for creating asset types (templates for assets). Aspect types (template for group of variables) can be used in asset types, to help create the same properties multiple times.
The API divides the functions into categories, for each category you can use a different controller. The following describes the controllers:
An aspect type is a template for creating multiple aspects with the same variables. These types can be used in asset types. You can configure, read or delete your types. Types are accessed by their IDs. There are predefined types, which are available for all users, but cannot be modified or deleted.
An asset type is a template for creating multiple asset with the same variables. You can configure, read or delete your types. Types are accessed by their IDs. There are predefined types, which are available for all users, but cannot be modified or deleted.
Creates the following types of assets:
- Device types: represents a machine, or any object, from which the data should be collected of.
- Agent types: represents the agent (software or physical device) measuring and collecting data of devices, machines, etc.
- Hierarchy types: represents the hierarchy levels of an organization.
- Application types: used by other services to collect data of their applications (e.g. Edge Analytics Application).
You can configure, read and manage an asset or the root asset. An asset is accessed by its ID. Assets can be deleted, except for root assets, which are deleted when their tenant is deleted. When reading an asset, its static variables and aspects are filled with their values. Also, you can assign existing files to assets. Assets inherit their parent's type assignments, but not their assets. Also, assets can overwrite the inherited type assignments.
The structure of an asset can only be read. It will show all aspects and variables without their values. You can configure the variables' values by updating the asset.
You can manage the location of your assets and update or delete the location data.
You can upload files, and assign these files to assets or asset types. One file can be used multiple times, or not at all.
The Asset Management exposes its API for realizing the following tasks:
- Create types for creating multiple assets with the same structure.
- Create an asset in four main topics.
- Get a list of all available assets.
- Get a list of all available asset types.
- Get a list of all available aspect types.
- Manage all aspects of an asset.
- Manage the location of your assets.
- Upload and assign files to assets.
A brewery has moved his conveyor belt to a different location. A fixed installed camera takes images of the conveyor belt every 2 minutes.
The Asset Management API allows you to change the location of the conveyor belt. You can define a new aspect for the conveyor belt like production volume.
- The company has a tenant in MindSphere.
- The company has a user able to create types.
- The company has an admin user to create/modify all the required assets.
- The agent is registered, onboarded, and able to send data to MindSphere.
- The conveyor belt is connected to MindSphere.
- A sensor collects time series data for the aspect production volume.
Any questions left?
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under the MindSphere Development License Agreement.